As promised, I've been baking this evening. Starting off my baking tutorials with rock cakes. I also made chocolate rock cakes with a slightly different recipe. I hope you enjoy!
5oz self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1tsp mixed spice
2oz caster sugar
4oz dried fruit
1tbsp demerera sugar
1. Weigh out your ingredients (I find it easier to be organised so you're not rushing about looking for things half way through mixing etc)
2. Put the flour, salt and spice into a large mixing bowl. Rub the marg in using your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs (shake the bowl gently from side to side so the larger lumps surface to check)
3. Stir in the caster sugar and fruit.
4. Beat the egg and stir into the mixture.
5. Place heaps of the mixture onto a baking tray (I used baking parchment to prevent sticking, but you could just lightly grease the tin instead). I made 6 rock cakes.
6. Sprinkle each cake with demerera sugar.
7. Bake @ 200 oC for 10-15mins. They should look crispy and a big cracked on the top when they're cooked. If you gently press the top, it should be soft but not sticky.
Mine came out of the oven a bit flat!
You could easily double up the ingredients to make more cakes.
Chocolate rock cakes
8oz self-raising flour
3oz caster sugar
Chocolate chips or buttons
1. Weigh out all the ingredients.
2. Put the flour and cocoa into a large mixing bowl and rub in the marg with your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs...
3. Stir in the sugar...
4. Add the beaten egg and milk and stir.
5. Add the chocolate (I chopped up 15 squares of cadburys dairy milk) and work into the mixture (it should come into a ball now).
6. Put heaps on a baking tray (as before) and bake for 10-15 mins @ 200 oC.
These are my own recipes that I've been making for years!
Coming up... Low calorie packed lunch ideas and small cakes.
Thanks for reading,