Me

Me

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Slow cooker recipe...chicken couscous

Hi everyone, 
As requested by frugal in bucks and Jane, I will be putting up recipes/tutorials tailored to their needs. If anyone else has any different requests, then please comment below and I'll see what I can do. 

For Jane, there will be baking tutorials. For frugal in bucks, there will be low fat/calorie meals for the slow cooker and packed lunch ideas. 

Later on today I will be baking for my first tutorial, but first here's a recipe for the slow cooker...

Chicken couscous
This is adapted from my Easy Good Food Slow Cooker Favourites (BBC Books)

It's low fat/cal and can be used up in a packed lunch the following day.

Cooking time:2 1/2 hrs
Serves 4

1tbsp olive oil
1thinly sliced onion
Chunk of ginger (peeled and grated)
200g diced chicken
10 dried apricots
200ml hot chicken stock
220g can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
200g couscous
Coriander to garnish

1. Put oil, ginger and onion in the slow cooker. Heat on high setting until softened. The recipe says for 1hr, but I would keep an eye on it as I think it may stick to the bottom without any liquid!

2. Add the chicken,apricots and stock and cook for another hour until the chicken is cooked through.

3. Turn off the slow cooker and stir in the chickpeas and couscous. Cover and wait 10 mins until the couscous is soft. Fluff up with a fork and scatter with coriander.

Per serving: 281 kcals

This would be ideal for weekend cooking because you'd need to be around to check on it! I picked it because it was an all-in-one meal and quick. Please make sure the chicken is cooked properly :)

Photo taken from book...please note...I have not actually tried out this recipe frugal in bucks...I don't like chickpeas! I won't be offended if you don't like any of the ingredients either. 

More slow cooker recipes to follow :)

Jane...rock cakes coming up!

Thanks for reading,

Mandy x

2 comments:

  1. Ooh sounds yummy. We've bought a slow cooker recently so I'll look forward to more slow cooker recipes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi loo
      Good to hear from you, hope you're well :)

      More slow cooker recipes coming up!

      Mandy xx

      Delete