Me

Me

Saturday 20 January 2018

So much to do!

If you've followed me for a while you'll know of my ongoing battle with the clutter. I always seem to be decluttering (then buying cheap bargains) then decluttering! I've now accepted that I'm a hoarder and understand the reasons why, but I can fight it. I like to have things around me and I always think that things will come in handy one day. What I really need to do is prioritise...

I've begun in my utility room because that's a dumping ground. Only items that belong in that room are staying and everything else is either being recycled, sent to the charity shop or moved to another room where they should be. When I've finished I'll show you just how organised I can be :)

I have a beautiful utility room with a sink, cupboards and work top my husband built years ago now. The floor is full of boxes because I store toys in there. I do toy rotation and this suits us, but I haven't got any proper storage yet so they're just stacked up. 

That room has also become a holding bay for things that need to be dealt with, put away or found a new home in the house. It's out of control now so I thought it was a good place to start. This week I've tackled a bit each day and made progress. I won't just simply send stuff off to landfill by putting it in the bin, so some bits are in a pile outside waiting to go to the tip to be recycled and everything else has been dealt with. 

The work tops and cupboards are finished, just the paperwork drawer to tackle, but that won't take long. I have a little corner for admin work where I keep the printer and stationery bits. 

The coat pegs are tidy too. There's just an accumulation of stuff that doesn't belong there left to sort out. I was hoping to have that room finished this week but I'm only able to do little bits at a time.  There's never enough hours in the day!

I'm still looking around for toy storage solutions, but the rest of it will be done next week. It's a good feeling to be getting things done, even though it's frustrating that there isn't more time to get it finished quickly. 

Back with a photo soon!

Mandy x

2 comments:

  1. And now you have more. More beautiful places I mean. I just find it helpful to think of it in that way i.e. that I'm gaining not losing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t a utility just an uderstairs cupboard that we refer to as the pantry. Has to house - kitchen gadgets, large food items, cleaning tools, coats and overflow shoes. Always a challenge waiting to be tackled !!!!

    When my kids were small I had a toy chest in the downstairs hallway. Each night before dinner toys were put away from downstairs into the chest and rotated weekly. Emma

    ReplyDelete