Sorry I haven't been around for a week. Troubled times here I'm afraid...the usual stuff we deal with week in week out. I'm nursing the headache from hell, brought on by stress I expect (had it for two days now) and feeling a bit down. This does not make good reading on a thrifty blog, so I've stayed away.
Thank you for all the lovely comments about Daisy's immunisations. Sadly she couldn't have them because her mummy wasn't there to give consent. I have written consent now, so hopefully they will be done next week. She did have her very overdue nine month check though and is fine.
Through my horrid headache yesterday I did manage to make a lovely tea. I'm not sure it was thrifty because the turkey steaks cost £3.33 (3 for £10 deal). I make stuff up as I go along when I'm cooking sometimes and yesterday was one of those times.
Sweet and Sour Turkey
1. Fry turkey steaks in a little olive oil (I chopped into bite-size pieces).
2. Add chopped red, green and yellow peppers, few spring onions, a good flick of paprika and continue to fry.
3. Add a tin of pineapple and stir.
4. Make the sauce in a different pan - combine a carton of pasatta, 2 tbsp of honey, 2 tsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp cider vinegar and 2 tbsp soy sauce.
5. Heat the sauce through and taste. Adjust until you're happy with the sauce (I added a little more honey because the bitterness of the tomato was still coming through) and add to the meat pan.
6. I simmered this for 30mins, but check the packet to see how long your turkey needs and check it is cooked through.
7. Serve with rice (I use boil-in-the-bag because I'm rubbish at cooking rice)
It was delicious!!!
Daisy's version had no soy, vinegar or honey. She loved it too.
This could be made without meat, or with chicken or pork, I just bought turkey for a change.
I hope to be back with some thrifty tips etc soon... let's see what life throws at us first though. Positive thinking is not easy at the moment :-(