Me

Me

Tuesday 20 March 2018

Meal planning

I've been thinking about making small changes to help the day-to-day stuff run more smoothly. We already have routine, we have to now that Daisy is at school, but some things work for us and others don't. I love baking but easily get bored of cooking. I hate trying to decide what to cook, which is ridiculous because I have so many recipes to choose from! I end up cooking similar food each week and that's just boring for everyone. As I intend to get rid of my modern cook books, I'm turning my attention to my lovely vintage recipes. These tend to be meals that we prefer. Traditional food. 

At the moment I shop online and make my choices hoping to find things on offer. I then decide the night before (I'm hopeless at remembering to get meat out of the freezer) what we will have the next day. I'm trying to reduce food waste so often it's a concoction based on what needs using up. So lately I haven't bothered to meal plan. I find I work much more effectively with forward planning and have decided to start meal planning again. 

I'm looking at having some meat free days so would really appreciate your help on this. Any meat free meal ideas? We'd love to try them. I'm open to new ideas and have bought a bag of lentils to try. I have no idea how I'm going to use them yet but I'm sure I can find a recipe :)

I plan to bring back 'meal plan Mondays' as these commitments keep me motivated and organised. This will start next Monday.

I've got lots to do today so I'll leave you with yesterday's vintage find...

A beautiful (photo doesn't do it  justice) 70s green dress for Daisy. 

Mandy x


6 comments:

  1. Hi Mand,
    I’m still meal planning myself. 1x potato meal, 1x rice meal, 1x pasta meal, 1x veggie/meat free meal, 1x salad meal, 1x fish meal, 1x l/o meal. Usually shop online and plan 20 meals per month and freestyle with l/o’s, eggs, beans etc. Use lentils with mince beef, in Dahl and soups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! Sorry but I don't know your name

      Delete
    2. Sorry - it’s Emma from Northants

      Delete
  2. Hi Mandy,
    Love Daisy's dress. I use lentils in a Shepherdess pie, you make it the same way you would make shepherd's pie but use lentils instead of meat.
    My menu plan is quite vague, e.g. I just have the meat portion written down for the day, and then decide what to do with it, this allows for "I don't feel like cooking that today".
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. River cottage red lentil and squash pastie, red lentil Bolognese, just a couple I can think of at the moment! I have just recently given up meat and have over a hundred cookbooks and two folders of recipes but normally end up frantically googling a recipe!

    One recipe I have just found in my River cottage leftovers book is stem soup which I am addicted to making! Uses up the stems of spring greens, broccoli stalks and any other leftover greens such as kale and rocket. It's also very tasty!

    ReplyDelete