Me

Me

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Keeping an eye on things and reducing waste...

Hi everyone

This morning I have been looking at my food stores and removing anything looking past it's best. In the past I haven't done this and ended up throwing away a lot of food from the fridge, especially salad and veg or fresh cream. 


These apples were looking a bit soft and yellow, so I peeled, cored and chopped them (with Daisy's help...her eating knife not a sharp one) and put them on to simmer. Daisy will love stewed apple and custard later (a lot of the retro puddings I have been making contain double cream which I cannot buy lactose free) and I can make apple crumble for the freezer too. 

The cores and peelings will be enjoyed by our chickens.

The bits and bobs I took out of the fridge will be used up at lunchtime and go into our tea.


A little time taken to save money by not wasting it!

How much food do you end up throwing away...or is nothing wasted?

Thanks for reading,

Mandy x

8 comments:

  1. I used to throw quite a bit of fridge stuff out, but nothing is going to be wasted any more, every penny counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! I used to waste far too much fridge stuff, but not anymore xx

      Delete
  2. We try hard not to waste anything but if I do its usually carrots, bagged carrots tend to go mushy on the ends very quickly even though I take them out of the bag and let them dry off before putting them into the salad drawer. I have more Apples from the tree to use up today, the oven is going on so I will make a crumble for tea :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      I have the same problem with bagged carrots...you have to keep a close eye on them before they start to turn! Xx

      Delete
  3. I try not to waste any food. If I find something fresh that may not last I pop it in the freezer for soup.
    I loved the look of yesterday's desserts might have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also try not to throw out any food. If something fresh is needing to be used but I can't use it up straight away for whatever reason, I quickly cook and freeze it. I always used to cook too much and end up throwing away leftovers.....now I try to only cook just enough, if I miscalculate and cook a bit too much, I freeze the leftovers when cool....it can always go towards another meal another day.

    ReplyDelete