I did manage to make the buns yesterday, but didn't have time to post the recipes. Here they are:
1 cup self-raising flour
pinch of salt
2 dsp marg (dessert spoons)
2 dsp caster sugar
2 tbsp milk
little milk for brushing over
- rub the marg into the flour and salt
- mix in sugar and milk
- mould in hands into 6 balls and pop on a greased baking tray
- make a hole in the top of each bun with your thumb
- fill the hole with jam
- brush the buns over with milk
- bake for 10 mins at 200oC
- leave to cool
1oz caster sugar
2oz self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp water
glace cherries/dried fruit/chocolate chips
12 cake cases
- put all ingredients into a mixer (could do it with a mixing bowl and wooden spoon) and whisk until combined
- Add either 2oz chopped glace cherries, 2oz dried fruit or 2oz chocolate chips and mix in
- put into cake cases and bake for 10 mins at 190oC
These recipes are great for children to make too.
I have a fan oven so they both took exactly 10 mins to cook. I made the cherry and the choc chips buns and will make the fruit ones another day. I needed to use up some cherries. I have stored them in an airtight tin.
Yesterday I went through my fridges and took out any dodgy looking veg. I have peeled and chopped up swede, parsnips and carrots and put into stew packs ready for my next slowcooker casserole. I wouldn't be able to use them up fast enough this week. On Sunday, I will shop at Asda for fresh foods and obviously Daisy-May's baby things. I am doing well, using up what I have and hopefully cutting my shopping bill - reducing waste too!
I had several lemons in the fridge which I wanted to turn into puddings and cakes. I haven't had the time and rather than let them go bad, I sliced up the large lemons and open froze them. The smaller value lemons were squeezed and the juice frozen too.
I am really keeping on top of my food waste now. Any peelings go to the chickens and anything they can't have is recycled in our compost bins or in the brown bins we have to recycle all food waste with the bin collections.
Probably no blogging over the weekend - Charlotte and I are selling at a carboot sale tomorrow (Grampy is looking after Daisy all by himself!) Sunday will be shopping and family time. Have a good weekend!