Me

Me

Wednesday 3 July 2013

The slowcooker is out of the cupboard!

Hi everyone!

I have taken Frugal Queen's advice and got the slowcooker out again. I only usually use it in the winter months, but I have been converted! The weather's not brilliant here at the moment, so we can manage a casserole. I got two packs of braising steak out of the freezer last night to defrost and I will make double beef casserole today. Today we will have it served with dumplings and tomorrow it will be turned into a steak and onion pie. I always think it tastes better the second day.

We are having pudding today! I have been looking for a recipe to use my trifle sponges (AF) up (apart from trifle!) Today we are having...strawberry and white chocolate trifle. It doesn't sound very frugal, but I have all the ingredients and the strawberries need using up too. I will put the recipe up tomorrow if it's nice! Our own strawberries growing in the garden are doing well and almost ready to start picking. I spotted a blackbird having a feast the other day on the only strawberry beginning to ripen!

I'm also hoping to do a little bit of baking and have two recipes from when I was a child. The first is jam buns and the second all-in-one buns (little cakes). These recipes will go up tomorrow - frugal and simple.

I got very little sleep last night, I don't know why Daisy was so restless, but it didn't help hearing boy racers charging out of the village at 1am. We live at the edge of our village, on the main road in and out and the windows are open at the moment. I shut the windows!

I have been playing around with my blog design but I'm not quite happy with it yet.

Jane - thanks for your comment, I have noted your likes/dislikes for future recipes. Do you eat potatoes?

Lean Thinker - Hi, I'm glad you are enjoying my blog! Just like you, I spend too much time on the laptop during the week, when daisy is asleep and I should be doing housework!!! But I love learning new things and sadly I then have little time to try them out. Sewing being my main one.

Right, lots to do today and the tennis is on too. Hopefully back tomorrow with those recipes if they turn out well???

Mandy x



2 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy
    Thank you for your lovely blog this morning so much easier to read. I'm looking forward to your bun recipes tomorrow I think my grandchildren may like these. Enjoy the tennis, I will be "COME ON ANDY"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy,
    Yes I do eat potatoes, only small amounts but love mashed, or jackets. I don't eat roasted as again I cant tolerate food cooked in fat.
    I have today had quite a good day diet wise with a protein shake with added strawberries and a weight watchers yogurt blended in for my breakfast, a rice cake as a snack, small seafood salad for lunch with chopped strawberries, blueberries, kiwi and watermelon for afters.
    I have had a half a pitta pocket with cottage cheese about 15 minutes ago (3pm) and may have the other half for my supper and another protein shake.
    Tomorrows meals will be small bowl of special K for breakfast, small quorn salad for lunch with fruit + yogurt for afters, either small jacket potato with cottage cheese or half pitta with CC for tea then a protein shake later.
    I do drink far too much tea but have 1 sweetner and fully skimmed milk in it.
    I drink still flavoured water at work and soda water (fizzed in the soda stream) at home).
    Hopefully this week will see another pound or two lost and this morning I have ordered a couple of "The biggest Loser" exercise dvd's from my catalogue as they were on special offer.
    look foreward to the recipes, take care jane

    ReplyDelete