Me

Me

Friday 11 July 2014

Feeding the Family Friday...

Hi everyone,

Here's a few pics of what we've been eating this week...


Corned beef hash pie.


Pasta carbonara...I'm not going to make this again (Daisy had a lactose free version, but really doesn't like a white sauce). Yo be honest, if didn't have much flavour!

I am terrible at remembering to photograph our meals! Tea time is such a busy time, but I will try harder.

Two recipes were requested from my meal plan this week...

Sausage and Sweetcorn Quiche

8oz short crust pastry
1oz butter
1 onion (chopped)
6oz Sweetcorn
4 sausages (cooked and chopped)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1/4 pt milk or cream or a mixture of the two 
3 eggs
1tsp mixed herbs
3oz cheese (grated)

Method

1). Look at the ingredients list for preparation...particularly that the sausages need cooking first for this recipe.

2). Roll out the pastry (you can make your own or buy ready rolled like I did because it's still on offer in asda) to line a 10" flan dish.

3). Melt the butter and cook the onion until softened. Put in pastry case.

4). Add the Sweetcorn, sausage and tomatoes to the pastry case.

5). Put the milk/cream, eggs and herbs in a jug and beat.

6). Pour over the pastry case filling and sprinkle with the cheese.

7). Bake @ 180oC for 35 mins or until filling is set.


Rooftop Pie


Both of today's recipes are magazine cuttings from the '80s! I love a bit of retro cooking.

Serves 4

2 tbsp oil
1 onion (diced)
3 small potatoes (diced)
2 carrots (diced)
1/2 green pepper (chopped)
450g mince
275ml beef stock
1tbsp tom purée 
50g button mushrooms (sliced)
Pack of puff pastry
1 beaten egg

Method

1). Heat the oil and fry onion, potato, carrots, pepper until browned. Remove from the pan and put aside.

2). Brown the mince then return the veg to the pan. Add the stock and tomato purée. Cook gently for about 20 mins until the sauce has thickened.

3). Add mushrooms and pile mixture into pie dish. 

4). Roll out pastry to 1/2cm thick. Cut out rounds and arrange them overlapping , over the mince, sticking down and glazing with beaten egg.

5). Cook @ 200oC until the pastry has risen and is golden brown.

I hope you like these recipes and thank you for reading,

Mandy x

6 comments:

  1. I like pie, and yours look the business Mandy. In the shops round here they sell "Cutting Pie" you have to cut it it is 14 " across and about 4" deep. It is basically Corned Beef with diced onion, carrots and potato with seasoning. I can remember when it was one of the cheapest things to have for dinner, now with corned beef almost £2 a tin it is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum used to buy the dogs corned beef as it was cheaper than dog food, as Pam says, not anymore. Oh well, I never really liked it but I do like the look of that roof top pie. Blogs going really well Mandy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really nice! Thanks, I'm enjoying blogging everyday xx

      Delete
  3. think I can make the rooftop pie with soya mince,as a veggie I am use to altering recipes.will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that would work fine Phyllis. My meal plan goes up tomorrow so let me know if you would like any of the veggie recipes x

      Delete